Take a kilo plus of sliced pork shoulder and marinade with the below ingredients for a few hours to overnight.
Reserved a cup of the marinade for glazing at the end of cooking or just before the BBQ.
Goes great in bao buns with green papaya salad.
- 50g granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon five spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- 3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons maltose or honey
- 1 tablespoon hot water