- 1lt Double cream
- 100g milk (to loosen the double cream – might not be necessary with supermarket cream as its never very thick)
- 315g egg yolks (Approx. 18 medium ones)
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 vanilla pods
- Split vanilla pods lengthways and warm with the cream and the milk.
- Scrape out the vanilla seeds out and add to cream, discard the pods (save them for vanilla sugar or something)
- Whisk the egg yolks until they are pale.
- Add the warm cream and pass the whole mix through a fine sieve.
- Pour into ramekins and bake in a water bath at 120c until they are just set (approx. 1.5hours)
- Chill for 3 hours
- When ready to serve, sprinkle some caster sugar on top and caramelise with a blow torch