- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 10-20 sage leaves
- 1 butternut squash, cut into 2 inch chunks, that’s been roasted for 20 mins in a 200c oven.
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 litre of good vegetable stock, homemade if possible (just an onion, 2 carrotts, a leek and some celery all chopped up and simmered for an hour in a litre of water)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- a cup of split red lentils
1. For the soup: Sweat the onions, carrott, pepper, sage leaves and garlic in a good glug of olive oil for 10 minutes, remove the sage.
2. Add the stock, potato, lentils and flavourings, and simmer for 60 mins (add a smallish parmesan rind to the soup if you have one for the last 10 mins of cooking)
3. Allow to cool slightly, then puree in a food processor.
4. Transfer back to the pan and reheat gently, season and serve.