Bases – Ingredients (for 4)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (375ml)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (7g)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil (22g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons table salt (10g)
- 3 ½ cups plain flour (500g)
Add all ingredients to a bowl, bring together and kneed without supreme aggression for around 10 minutes. Allow to rise for an hour (doubling its size), then knock it back. Split into 4 and make a rough circle using your fingers or a rolling pin, then balance the circle on the back of your hands and use your knuckles to slowly stretch the dough out in all directions – takes plenty of practice. Finally, once large enough for your cooking receptacle (I use a heavy base cast iron pan to heat in the oven), place the pizza onto a square sheet of baking parchment, press the base down with your fingers, but dont press the edges, this allows them to puff up nicely when in the oven.
Top with tomato sauce (sparingly), then mozzarella, then ingredients of your choice, e.g.
- Green pepper, italian sausage and mushroom (Casa Bianca Deluxe Pizza Pie)
To cook, heat the cast iron pan/pizza stone for 20 mins or so. then cook on a very high heat for less than 10 mins.