The basic method for cooking ribs is the same no matter the recipe.
- Marinade for 4-24 hours (some recipes below). Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Remove ribs from the marinade and wrap the rack in a couple of layers of foil.
- Cook in the oven at 150c for 3 hours.
- To finish, open the foil wrap, brush on the marinade, being careful not to break the rack up.
- Cook on the BBQ for 5 minutes or so or in the oven for 20 minutes.
The difference in the recipes are from the marinades which are added to the meat 24 hours before. You can save this marinade when you put the ribs in the oven and brush/pour it back on for that final 20 minute cooking.
Below are some recipes for the marinade (all for 1 rack of ribs):
- Felicity Cloake: 2 racks of baby back / loin ribs, 1 tbsp Marmite, 1 tbsp English mustard, 1½ tsp smoked paprika, 2 tbsp tomato ketchup, 2½ tbsp dark muscovado sugar – marinade for 4 hours, 150c for 2.5 hours, finish on griddle
- Jamie Oliver: 2 tbsp tamarind paste, 3 garlic cloves, grated, 1 tbsp soft brown sugar, 1 tsp ground turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 150ml bottled beer