- 3kg thinly sliced potatoes (thin enough to fold in half)
- 500ml double cream
- 500 milk
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- Salt and White pepper (black leaves big spots)
- Line a large roasting tray with butter
- Bring cream and milk to boil, add garlic, leave for 1 hour and then strain
- Overlap potatoes in tray one layer at a time.
- Season each layer then pour on the milk mix.
- When complete, compress the potatoes by placing an identical roasting pan on top. Or just use the back of a fish slice.
- Spoon some cream onto the top and cook at 180c.
- Continue to push down using the fish slice during cooking.
- Cook until golden brown on top, about 1 hour and a half. Check by pushing a knife through.