This has been adapted from Zov’s book ‘recipes and memories from the heart’. It is the best side dish ever with most things but particularly with salmon apparently
Feeds 8 – 10 as a side, perhaps for a BBQ but also great for a rustic middle eastern dinner party.
Before you start the rest of the dish, you will need to thinly slice 4 large onions / 6 medium ones and caramelise them in 75ml of vegetable oil over a medium heat for 30-45 mins, do not burn them.
Set them aside on kitchen roll to drain some of the fat off and start the rest of the dish.
- Cook 2 cup of green lentils in 1000ml of water
- Drain but keep cooking liquor
- Stir in 100g of butter to lentils, add 3 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of pepper
- Add 400g (2 cups) of a long grain rice (I like Jasmine)
- Add the liquor back in at a ratio of 1:1.5 (rice:liquor), so in this case 600ml .
- Bring to the boil, turn down to lowest heat and cook for 2/3rds of the recommended rice cooking time (in my case 7 mins out of 11)
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for 15 mins.
Uncover, add the caramelised onions and serve in a rustic dish with a bowl of yoghurt on the side